mobile menu

Apply Now

Order Prospectus


Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

This page answers some common questions about applying for a course or studying at Ƶ.
  • Timetables

    more less

    Which days will I need to come to college?

    Full-time students will be issued with a timetable by your tutor when you first start college which will tell you the days and times you need to attend.

    Part-time students can find out class-times and dates by downloading the relevant course guidehere.

  • Applying & enrolling on a course

    more less

    How do I apply?

    If you’re a school leaver, or under 19 and considering a full-time course, please follow the step by step instructions below:

    Step 1:Visitwww.boltoncollege.ac.uk/young-people

    Step 2:Scroll down to find your course area, for example, 'Applied & Forensic Science' and click the 'More' button.

    Step 3:Scroll down to choose your specific course which you will find within the grey box, for example, 'Applied Science BTEC National Foundation Diploma Level 3'.

    Step 4:Click on your chosen course.

    Step 5:Read the course information then to apply, click the yellow 'Apply' button.

    Step 6:When you click the yellow 'Apply' button, you will be redirected to our Learner Hub, where you can create an account and complete your application.

    Once you’ve completed your application, we will get in touch with you to book an interview.

    If you have any questions, please get in touch with our friendly Admissions Team. You can contact them on01204 482 155or emailadmissions@boltoncc.ac.uk

    Some courses for adult learners (aged 19 and over) require an application and formal interview, some just need an informal interview and others you can just enrol on without interviews. Check ourfor more information on the course you are interested in.

    We'll send school leavers a letter telling you when to come into college and enrol - usually in July or August. You'll need to bring your GCSE results with you. Adult learners (aged 19 and over) can come in and enrol at any of our centres. You'll need your payment and relevant evidence documents if you are claiming any fee remission. View our for information on what evidence you'll need. Please bring proof of your previous qualifications with you.Click here for ourenrolment times.

  • Admissions process

    more less

    I’ve applied – when will I hear back?

    Your application will be acknowledged within three working days. After this it may take up to four weeks to process your application and invite you for an interview.

    What happens at an interview?

    At the interview you will meet with a tutor from the course you have applied for, who will discuss with you questions such as; why you’ve chosen your course, your career aspirations, how you did at school, any health issues or learning difficulties or disabilities you may need help with.

    The tutor will also go through the course content with you so you know what it’s about. You should bring any school reports or portfolio work you have with you.

    What is a conditional offer?

    A conditional offer is when you are offered a place on the course as long as you achieve certain criteria, such as getting a particular grade in your exams or securing a work experience place or attending one of our Taster Courses.

    If you don’t meet the conditions, you will probably still be able to study with us, but you might need to take additional classes alongside your course, or start your learning at a lower level. If this happens, don't panic, just get in touch with student services on 01204 482 182.

  • Financial support

    more less

    Can I get help with course fees?

    Students under 19 don’t pay any fees. If you are aged 19 or over, you may be able to get help with the costs of studying at College through loans or bursaries.Click here for more information on fees and eligibility.

    When do I pay for my course?

    We take payment when you enrol on a course. If the course is over £100, you can usually spread the cost of it over six payments but you will still need to pay something when you enrol. If you plan to do this, please ring ahead to check the information we need from you as you will need to bring your bank account details such as sort code, bank account name and number.

    Is there any other funding available?

    You may be able to get help with childcare costs depending on your age and financial circumstances.

    We also provide College bursaries and learner support funds, which can help some students from low income households with costs such as travel and equipment.

    You can download the Student Financial Support Policy which is relevant to your age group from ourfinancial helppage.

  • Apprenticeships

    more less

    What’s the difference between an Apprenticeship and a full-time study programme?

    Studying an Apprenticeship at Ƶ allows you to earn while you learn. You will usually work full-time but come to college for one day a week however, each Apprenticeship is different. Your job could be local in Bolton, or you could work in Greater Manchester or Lancashire and come to college here.

    To find out how to get started,click here to read our How to Secure Yourself an Apprenticeship Brochure or click here to view our Apprenticeship vacancies.

    What areas can I do my Apprenticeship in?

    Ƶ has a wide programme of courses. You could study an Apprenticeship in Accountancy, Barbering, Brickwork, Business Administration, Carpentry & Joinery, Catering & Hospitality, Childcare, Computing & IT, Customer Services, Domestic Heating, Electrical Installation, Gas Installation, Hairdressing, Health & Social Care, Management, Marketing, Motor Vehicle, Painting & Decorating, Plastering, Plumbing, Roofing, Slating & Tiling, Sports or as a Teaching Assistant. Click here to find out more.

    I’m interested, what do I do next?

    You can express an interest in an Apprenticeship via our online application form -click here.

  • Changing course

    more less

    I don’t like the course I’m on. What can I do?

    If you find that the course you’ve started on is not the right fit for you or you’ve had a change of heart about what you want to do, please come and speak to our Student Services Centre at Deane Road Campus or call us on 01204 482 182. Ƶ has a Matrix accredited Information, Advice and Guidance service to help you to choose a course, or another option, whichever will be best for you.

  • Higher Education

    more less

    I want to go to university, do I need to study A-Levels?

    Not at all. Our BTEC Level 3 courses are equivalent to two/three A-Levels and can give you the number of UCAS points you need to study at university. We have fantastic progression routes to the University of Bolton. Our EXCEED programme helps our learners take part in exciting master classes related to their subject area from experts and take advantage of the excellent university facilities.

    If you are not sure which of our courses are best for you, make an appointment with Student Services at Deane Road Campus, or call us on.

    I need a degree to boost my career prospects or help me get a new job.

    If you’re an adult returning to learning and want to study for a degree, ourAccess to Higher Education courses could prepare you for studying at University. We also offer a number of subjects at HNC, HND or Foundation and Degree Level for people over 18.

Did this section answer your question? If not, you may find answers elsewhere on the site; you can use the site search bar at the top of the page to look for key phrases.

If you still require information or assistance, please contact info@boltoncc.ac.uk or ring 01204 482 000.